He uri tēnei nō Ngāti Ueoneone, Ngāti Tamaterā, Ngāti Apakura, Ngāti Whakaue me Te Whānau-a-Karuai.
Te Mihinga is committed to the promotion and revitalisation of te reo Māori through education. With a background in teaching at all levels in various sectors, her role as a facilitator supports kaiako, ākonga and their communities in Māori medium settings with their reo competency, fluency and curriculum. She also has seven years of experience in creating quality teaching and learning resources - both digital and print.
Te Mihinga is often approached in an advisory capacity for many things to do with te reo Māori, including the impact of digital technologies on language retention and learning. Using Twitter as her main social media platform, her drive is to normalise te reo Māori in mainstream Aotearoa and globally.
Te Mihinga has expertise in the following areas:
Te Reo Māori
Successfully supporting individuals, kaiako, kura, iwi and businesses by:
- increasing their understanding of language proficiency, confidence and capacity to use te reo and tikanga Māori in real life contexts
- developing print and digital resources that are engaging, level and skill appropriate
- collaboratively working with clusters with diverse backgrounds and shared understandings.
Kāhui Ako - Communities of Learning
Successfully supporting a Māori medium, dual medium and mainstream learning community to:
- construct a kaupapa Māori approach in building ākonga and whānau agency
- establish initiatives to increase effective networking in authentic learning contexts
- implement digital teaching and learning practices through the use of digital technologies.
Conference presentations, keynotes, seminars, workshops
- 2016: Te Pīnakitanga o Te Reo Kairangi ki Waitaha
- 2016: Netsafe’s Confronting Online Harm Together Conference
- 2016: Ako Panuku - Te Kāhui Kaiako Reo Māori
- 2015: Digital Horizons Conference
- 2015: NetHui Education Forum
- 2015: CORE Māori EdVentures - Te Reo Hangarau
- 2014-15: uLearn - Te Arareo Māori
- Komene, Te Mihinga. (current). Kuputaka Reo Hangarau. He kohinga kupu īPae, matihiko hoki. bit.ly/KuputakaReoHangarau
- Komene, Te Mihinga. (2015). Te Rau. Te Whanganui-a-Tara: nā Huia Publishers mō Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga.
- Komene, Te Mihinga. (2014). Kimihia. Te Whanganui-a-Tara: nā Huia Publishers mō Te Tāhuhu o te Mātauranga.
- 2016: Te Toa Reo Māori Mātauranga (ā-Reo Māori), Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Māori
- 2015: Toa, Te Kura Pounamu (te reo Māori), LIANZA
- 2000: Academic Excellence Award, Karahipi Tūmate Mahuta, Waikato-Tainui
Ko tōku reo, ko tōku whānau, ko tōku oranga. E whakapono ana ahau i whānau mai te tangata me tōna reo Māori, koirā i kīia ai he taonga tuku iho. Ko tāku aronga matua, ko te whakatairanga, ko te whakarauora i tēnei puipuiaki ā tātou puta, puta i te ao whānui. Ahakoa tōna iti, tōna rahi, mā taku āwhina i te tangata e hiahia ana ki te tutuki i ōna wawata reo Māori nei, mā te mahi ngātahi, mā te ngākaunui anō hoki, ka ea.