Helen has extensive experience in the early childhood sector, having taught for 14 years in kindergarten and childcare both in New Zealand and the UK. She joined CORE Education in 2006 mentoring teachers in the innovative ECE ICT Programme before moving onto Early Years professional learning facilitation. This involves facilitating curriculum and/or governance and management outcomes for services.
Helen has had comprehensive training and mentoring in the pedagogies of working with adult learners, including the use of interactive facilitation, inquiry based models of learning and learning talk. She ensures excellence in professional learning facilitation through reflection and dialogue. Her skills include analysis of teaching and learning environments, listening, sensitive facilitation, pedagogical leadership and an in-depth and wide knowledge of all areas of Early Childhood. A self-confessed people person, Helen supports and motivates teachers and teaching teams to achieve their potential.
Helen's expertise in Early Childhood Education includes:
- Social Competency
- Assessment for learning
- Effective team collaboration
- The creative arts
- The use of ICT in ECE
Helen's interest areas are:
- Social competency in ECE
- Oral language development in young children
- Team work
- Supporting teachers to improve learning for children in their centres
- Exploring Facilitation – Full day workshop for Otago University Childcare Association to support Head Teachers with their facilitation skills, 2014.
- Self-Review Workshops and resources – Understanding and implementing robust self-review in your service. Workshops for numerous services for Ministry of Education, 2014.
- Continuity of learning – programme planning and learning stories – series of workshops and resources developed for supporting services in assessment for learning, including working theories, dispositional learning, group planning and individual planning, 2014.
- Mathematics in the Early Years – Workshops developed for Ministry of Education contract, 2014.
- Cultural Literacies, Taking Literacy Learning Outdoors, Conversations about thinking and learning – workshops developed for services taking part in Ministry of Education Literacy Contract, 2013.
- Southland Leadership Hui – Identity, Language and Culture – supporting cultural intelligence in our centres, mathematics and literacy leadership, 2013.
- Infants and Toddlers Literacy – Online Workshop for Otago/Southland, 2012.
- Emotional Regulation in Young Children – Presented at Otago/Southland Early Childhood Regional Hui, 2011.
After having fun with our highly active three and one year olds and working alongside centres, any spare time I have is spent with a coffee in a cafe or on a rare occasion indulging in my favourite past-time of shopping.