Rachel is an experienced teacher and leader, with a background in digital technologies, curriculum development, and the Arts. She has worked and facilitated in all ages of primary schooling. She has coached/facilitated/modeled in the areas of:
- Teaching as Inquiry and appraisal processes - the use of strategic goals, charters, data and evidence to inform practice and to set goals
- building positive relationships as a key part of leading teachers to improve their practice
- the use of digital technologies to enhance learning (with a particular focus on Google Apps)
- implementing and maintaining collaborative practices and team teaching within an innovative learning environment context supported by the use of digital tools for open sharing of resources, and communication
- curriculum design – best practice for student engagement, integration of curriculum areas and digital tools, use of digital technologies to support design, delivery and learning within curricula, and purposeful assessment, and curriculum reviews
- digital infrastructure support and problem solving
- student agency, voice, choice and inquiry for learning
- event organisation within and across schools e.g. e-Days, Educamps
- Acting Principal – Elmgrove School (2013)
- Deputy Principal / Curriculum Design Leader – Elmgrove School (appointed 2007)
- ICT Facilitator (2004 to 2006) - Taieri te Awa ICT Cluster of 9 Dunedin schools
Professional body membership
- Music Education Otago committee member
- Virtual Learning Network groups
- Facebook teacher groups
- Taieri Music Festival committee member
- Educamp, 2013-17: Digital tools across the curriculum, tools to engage students into inquiry learning. Dunedin.
- Balcutha and Invercargill ICT clusters, 2006: Digital tools across the curriculum, tools to engage students into inquiry learning. Balclutha and Invercargill.
- I Love Teaching (ILT) Conference, 2006: Digital tools across the curriculum, tools to engage students into inquiry learning. Invercargill.
- Learning@School Conference, 2005-06: Digital tools across the curriculum, tools to engage students into inquiry learning. Rotorua.
- National Aspiring Principals Certificate 2013.
I am enthusiastic about working with teachers and students to build strong relationships that enhance a love of learning and enrich wellbeing. I believe in the importance of focusing on engagement to extend learning in all areas, for students and for teachers.