Lizana has worked within the energy sector for over 15 years in a range of roles including marketing and communications, sponsorship and events, iwi environmental management. In recent years, she developed and delivered complex collaborative projects between hapū and corporate that builds and strengthens meaningful relationships, empowers others, and delivers multiple outcomes (cultural, environmental, educational, social and economic).
Lizana enjoys entering spaces that provide for education, training, and development and gives life to new business opportunities through innovative thinking and collaborated effort.
Lizana recently completed her MBA, which focused on best-practice engagement between iwi and corporate entities, and included the development of a values-based engagement model that highlights the importance and commitment to partnership to enable bicultural world-views and environments to be created, understood, and respected.
Lizana is one of three Kaitiaki for CORE Education, who are collectively responsible for the guardianship and growth of CORE Education under the auspices of a forward-thinking distributed leadership model.
Lizana aims to provide sound and strategic governance, build and empower a culture of distributed leadership and bicultural competence, and is committed to drive and support the overall direction, growth, health, and performance of CORE to positively impact the lives of future generations in New Zealand by continuing to push the boundaries of education.
- Extensive experience in developing and engaging meaningful relationships with Māori and local government services.
- Proven experience in leading, influencing, and building credibility with Māori and other stakeholder groups.
- Strategic, thoughtful, inclusive, and outward thinker.
- Senior leadership experience with significant practice in turning strategy into action in a large and complex public-sector organisation.
- Organisational leader in building Māori capability and understanding Te Ao Māori including Te Reo Māori and Tikanga.
- Demonstrated leadership ability in culturally sensitive situations.
- A strong communicator with the ability to translate and transform strategic concepts and complex technical information into priorities, plans and mutual outcomes.
- Strong leadership skills and experience in collaborating and managing people in demanding and change environments.
- Effective Project Management skills.
- Passion to empower others.
Member of the Waikato Management School Corporate and Executive Education Alumni
My personal interests include spending time with my whānau and giving back to my iwi, and hapū through community development initiatives. I have a passion for youth mentoring and career pathway development. And I also enjoy being actively involved in netball and kickboxing.