Talofa lava, Kia orāna, Mālō e lelei, Fakaalofa lahi atu, Bula vinaka, Namaste, Taloha ni, Halo ola keta, Mauri.
Are you curious about how you, your centre or school, can best support Pasifika learners? Do you have an innovative approach that could help promote effective and equitable teaching and learning for Pasifika learners? If so, read on!
As part of its charitable awards and scholarships, CORE Education offers an annual allocation to support teachers whose hearts are in Pasifika education, from early childhood education to senior secondary.
2020 Pasifika Education Grant
The CORE Education Pasifika Grant provides support for:
- undertaking a new teacher inquiry or project; or
- an existing project aimed at bringing about change in early childhood education (ECE) or classroom practice for the benefit of Pasifika learners.
This award is open to teachers who are currently employed in early childhood services, primary, or secondary schools in New Zealand.
What we ask of you in return
- A commitment to the project and improving outcomes for Pasifika learners and their communities
- The successful applicant(s) will be supported to share the results of their inquiry through one (or some) of the following:
- Presenting at uLearn20
- CORE Education’s blog
- A short written or video summary suitable for publication on the CORE website.
Additionally, we may ask you to support us to showcase your project, and its outcomes for publication via EDtalks.
You will be required to provide regular updates on progress with your inquiry/project. We will keep this simple and brief. Details will be negotiated on a case-by-case basis with each successful applicant.
Applications are now open for the 2020 Pasifika Education Grant
If this sounds like you, then here are the next steps:
- Complete the online application form. Make sure you have the approval of your service/school management and have their support to undertake this inquiry/project.
- You may submit a video as part of your application, but this is not compulsory. If you do, remember to include the link on your application form.
- Send any supporting material that you would like to add to your online application to email@example.com.
Criteria for selection
Your application will be considered in relation to these criteria:
- The potential of the inquiry or project to address a gap in current knowledge and practice addressing Pasifika learners.
- The potential of the inquiry or project to enrich Pasifika learners and communities.
- The potential to ignite significant change in effective teaching and learning for Pasifika learners.
- Evidence of the applicant(s) experience or potential in:
- innovation or leadership in Pasifika teaching and learning
- leadership or engagement in Pasifika networks
- leadership or engagement in the promotion of Pasifika languages and cultures
- designing teaching approaches or focusing an inquiry into a contemporary educational issue
- deep engagement with Pasifika students and their communities.
- The application answers all questions and is received by the closing date.
The selection panel
- The panel will include a minimum of two CORE Education representatives and one Pasifika community advisor.
- CORE Education may co-opt other members onto the panel if necessary.
- The panel's decision is final.
Applications open on 10 October 2019 and must be received by 5.00pm 31 January 2020 to be eligible for selection.
The grant recipient(s) will be notified by 14 February 2020.
This grant is awarded for the duration of up to a year from the time the awards are announced i.e March 2020 - December 2020.
Please note: the financial allocation must be received by centre or school named in the application. No money can be awarded to an individual.