CORE developed this Social Sciences curriculum resource in 2009 to investigate values and traditions, cultural interaction and identity, and to foster many of the principles of The New Zealand Curriculum.
Each unit explores a different angle on celebrations and provides learning activities specific to the needs of those working at Level 2, 4 or 5 of The New Zealand Curriculum.
Students are encouraged to explore these and other questions:
- How do the peoples and nations of Asia celebrate important festivals or rites of passage?
- What do we understand of the diverse cultures that make up each of these nations and how they may celebrate special events or people?
- How, over time, has intermingling and interaction with other cultural groups influenced the nature of these celebrations?
- In what ways have the celebrations important to Asian migrants affected New Zealand society generally?
- How are the celebratory activities of Asian cultures similar to or different from national, religious or family celebrations familiar to New Zealanders?