Becky is a former primary teacher, Life Education Trust educator and Newspapers in Education Manager. Her professional career path has ensured that she has kept abreast of Ministry of Education initiatives and educational pedagogy, and developed learning experiences in line with The New Zealand Curriculum, teacher needs and student learning outcomes.
During her years working in the media industry, Becky was responsible for developing print and online educational programmes and resources that result in participants’ media literacy skill development and social awareness.
She designed and facilitated teacher workshops and staff training conferences, edited and published numerous educational books, games, CDs and resources. She planned skills-based programmes using current issues, contexts and promoting community engagement.
In response to increasing interest in e-learning, Becky enhanced learning experiences by developing a website with interactive tools including online news diaries and video channels, producing video tutorials and providing opportunities for students to create and post their own news videos. Becky relishes empowering child-centred learning and seeing students develop their own voices through digital story telling – literally becoming the news.
Becky has experience working as part of a team with a diverse range of educational stakeholders to deliver high quality solutions and excellent customer experiences.
She joined the CORE team in July 2012.
Becky is interested and experienced in:
- Teaching and facilitating: programme planning and development, presenting and MCing, workshop and conference facilitation, staff training and development
- Communication: has a passion and talent for written, oral, visual and digital communications, project and event management, website processes and CMS, relationship management
- Marketing and sales: development and implementation of marketing plans, collateral and campaigns, partnership proposals, critical plan management, digital strategies, copy writing, layout and design
- Project management: strategic planning, team management, project management processes, recruiting and performance management
Conference presentations, seminars and workshops
- uLearn11, presenter (NiE online learning tools)
- Young Reader International Conference, Bangkok, Thailand, speaker, 2004
- World Association of Newspapers (WAN) Young Reader Conference, Seoul, South Korea, speaker, 2006
- Newspaper Association of America (NAA) NiE Conference, Phoenix, Arizona, US, 2008 and Los Angeles, 2004
I grew up in Tauranga and raised a family of three. I taught in Christchurch and Tauranga, and now live in Auckland. I take advantage of the many of the cultural events (music, art, plays) the big smoke has to offer, and balance the stimulation of city living with frequent bush walks, swimming at West coast surf beaches and reading. Always a learner, I relish opportunities to hang out and share ideas with enthusiastic people from all walks of life. Passionate educators and loving family make my heart sing.