Justine has been involved in early childhood professional development work for over 15 years. Prior to this, she was teaching and in a leadership role in mainstream early childhood services for 18 years, bringing her time spent in the sector to over 33 years. Justine now works with teachers and senior team leaders in varied settings, facilitating and challenging teachers' pedagogical thinking and beliefs, to enable them to make transformative change in their practice.
- Curriculum implementation
- Assessment for learning
- Social competence
- Infant and toddler pedagogy
- Integrating digital technologies to support teaching and learning
- Online facilitation and learning communities
- Developing online resources
- O’Connell Sutherland K. Mason, J. (2018) Working collaboratively to support meaningful learning pathways between early childhood and schools and kura. Presented at uLearn18.
- O’Connell Sutherland K. Mason, J. (2017) Strengthening learning pathways and learning continuity through the update of Te Whāriki: He whāriki mātauranga mō ngā mokopuna o Aotearoa Early childhood curriculum. Presented at uLearn17.
- Mason, J. (2016) Social Competence in a future focused education landscape. Presented at uLearn16.
- Mason, J. Wright, J. (2016) Where cultural literacies connect. Presented at uLearn16.
- Mason, J. (2016) Understanding and supporting toddler’s social competence in an early childhood programme. Presented at Kidsfirst Kindergartens Professional Development Hui.
- Fensom, J. Kidd, V. McKenzie, R. Mason, J. (2015) O Leo O fanau. Presented at SA’SIA (Society of Aoga Amata Aotearoa) conference, Apia & Savaii, Samoa.
- Mason, J. (2015) A pedagogy of care for two year olds in kindergarten. Presented at Kidsfirst Kindergartens Professional Development Hui.
- Mason, J. (2013) Doing, becoming and belonging - digital technology supporting infant and toddler teachers’ professional learning opportunities. The First Years Ngā Tau Tuatahi NZ Journal of Infant and toddler education volume 15 (1), 22 - 24.
I am a born and bred Cantabrian and live close to Lincoln with my family. I love the semi rural lifestyle and enjoy spending time with family and friends. We spend the winter cheering on the side of a rugby field and the summers on the beaches and lakes of the magnificent Te Wai Pounamu. I have recently rediscovered my love for crafty things and, when I have the time, I love to create bits and bobs with a sewing machine or crochet hook.