Andrew has been a LEARNZ field trip teacher since 2009. He experienced great success using LEARNZ virtual field trips in the classroom when he was a teaching deputy principal.
Being a LEARNZ field trip teacher is a job like no other. Andrew builds and maintains field trip websites linked to various parts of the New Zealand curriculum, which involves (among a variety of other tasks) writing background pages related to the curriculum topic and developing activities to meet the assessment needs of primary classes; liaising with sponsorship clients, field trip experts and teachers; organising and managing around eight field trips to different parts of the country each year; travelling to the field trip locations and working with experts to film, write about, and photograph the learning adventure that takes place; presenting LEARNZ to school staff and at conferences.
Professional body memberships
- Auckland Social Studies Association
Conference presentations, seminars and workshops
- Presented at ASSA 'Inspire Teachers to Change the World' PD day, Auckland, May 2012
- Presented at the Cutting Edge Classrooms Conference 'Keeping Up with the Kids' held at Te Rauparaha Arena, Porirua, April 2011
- Presented at uLearn10 Conference
- Presented at 'It Takes a Whole Village to Educate a Child' Conference, Oamaru, September 2010
- Presented LEARNZ at Learning Network NZ, Auckland, March 2010
I have a passion for motivating learners through relevant and real-life contexts using the mediums and education tools of today's generation. I am also passionate about the natural environment and am fortunate that many of my field trips allow me to transform my interactions with people and places of ecological significance into amazing learning opportunities.