Education and knowledge are highly valued
Supporting transitions for Muslim children: a resource for kaiako | teachers
"Read, recite, proclaim, right from the beginning of the message of Islam there is a call to knowledge. So learning is something that is really important for Muslims, and we want that for our children.”
- Dr Jane Taylor, Head Teacher, An-Nur Childcare Centre
Reflections for kaiako
As you watch this video, think about how you support Muslim children and their families when they transition to school.
As a team
- Create a safe inclusive space for Muslim whānau to talk about their children’s transitions, values, and aspirations for their tamariki.
- Ensure communication with Muslim whānau is open, respectful, and effective.
- Interact with Muslim tamariki and listen carefully to their thoughts and ideas.
- Encourage Muslim whānau to get involved in school life such as with the school board and parent–teacher association.
- Create learning opportunities, making use of parents as a useful cultural and community resource.