Brenda has a background in education, with significant experience supporting both teachers and learners via ICT. She is experienced in building and maintaining effective and positive relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
Since 2000, Brenda has been involved in the creation and management of significant educational websites. She is a highly experienced educational resource writer and developer, website manager, online facilitator and project manager. Her background combines successful classroom teaching experience with website community facilitation and site management, project management and tertiary resource development.
Brenda has played a major role in significant national ICT projects, several in English and te reo Māori:
- Ministry of Education: WickED website and Study Support Centres online management system (site and project manager)
- Ministry of Education: Te Kete Ipurangi (TKI) websites (online editor, community facilitator, site manager)
- Inland Revenue: Tax and Citizenship teaching resources (project manager)
- Walking Access Commission: Both Sides of the Fence website, e-book, and teaching resources (project manager, writer)
- NZ Post: Magical Tales website, e-book, and teaching resources (project manager)
- Statistics New Zealand: Let's do the Census teaching and learning resources (project manager, writer)
- Social Studies Online (project manager)
- 2020 Trust: Living Heritage website (site and project manager)
- Treaty Information Unit: Treaty of Waitangi school's resource (writer)
Brenda has an excellent working knowledge of National Education Guidelines, the New Zealand Curriculum, Te Marautanga o Aotearoa and the National Standards. She is comfortable and competent with Te Reo Māori resources. By combining her own project skills with the knowledge of internal and external education community stakeholders, she builds collegial and lasting working relationships, which result in high quality project outcomes.
Brenda's specialist skills and knowledge encompass:
- Digital project management
- Website management
- Facilitation of online and offline communities
- Online editing
- Resource writing, especially for social sciences, social studies, English, the Arts and technology
Conference presentations, seminars and workshops
- ULearn 2010: Innovate, Living Heritage website
- Learning@School 2008: The Ins and Outs of TKI
- ULearn 2008: Positive Computing for Parents, sessions for schools
- SocCon 2007: Creating Living Heritage projects that link in with social sciences
Being a member of a large extended family, and keeping up with my four (now adult) children, has broadened my perspective on life; and in particular my views about education.
I have a strong belief in the accessibility of education for all ages, with current and evolving technologies being crucial to facilitating learning opportunities. Working as a volunteer tutor with classes at Kapiti SeniorNet has given me an appreciation of the value of continuing education. This, and my work with schools and Study Support Centres throughout New Zealand, underpins my passion for ICT education.
I enjoy living at Raumati South on the Kapiti Coast, taking pleasure in walking the dog on the local beaches and relaxing between times with gardening, quilting and other handcrafts.