- 1987, Bachelor of Arts degree, University of Pretoria
- 1987, Higher Diploma in Education (Secondary), University of Pretoria
- 1993, Bachelor of Honours degree (Psychology), University of South Africa
- 2004, National Certificate in Adult Education and Training (Level 5), Wananga Aotearoa, 2004
Dalene Mactier is an experienced facilitator and education leader in the not-for-profit and public service.
She started her career in education as a high school teacher and became fascinated with early learning while attending Playcentre with her children. Her involvement in Playcentre involved a range of roles in education, professional development and management.
In the various roles in Playcentre Dalene learnt a range of strategies to engage families and whānau and develop reciprocal partnerships. In the last two years she has worked for the Education Review Office, growing her skills in evaluation for improvement to support excellent and equitable outcomes for all learners.
- Strategic leadership: Provide vision and develop shared understandings, focus on the big picture.
- Building relationships: Relationship focused, create a strength-based inclusive environment, worked with a diverse group of people.
- Cooperative team building: Build strong cooperative teams, implement strength based strategies, collaborate and grow culture of distributed leadership.
- Communication: Clear and transparent communication using a range of tools, striving to engage communities.
- Learner agility: Develop a strong culture of learning by sharing knowledge and learning with each other.
- Continuous improvement: Review and evaluate processes, reflect on strengths and areas to improve, design more effective processes.
- Facilitate, coach and mentor: Use adult education strategies to build capacity.
- Programme development and design: Design bespoke programmes in education to promote equitable and excellent outcomes for learners.
- Early Years learning: Knowledge and capability in the early years sector and the relevant resources.
Mā te huruhuru, ka rere te manu
Adorn the bird with feather so it can fly
I strive to empower people by working alongside them, focusing on their strengths and passions to support them to grow and develop their competencies. I strive to build capability through clearly defining a shared purpose, promoting an agile culture of learning, and facilitating innovation through reflection, challenging the status quo and exploring new ways of working.